Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ready, sketch, SHOW!

When I first spotted the sketches from Atelier Versace's spring line - courtesy of TLo - I was enraptured. The dresses are breathtaking. The shoot was alluring. The sketches are stunning. I couldn't wait to see them making appearances on the red carpet. And they have. Some good, some bad. I'm not sure any of the red carpet looks have lived up to the promise, yet. But, let's take a look at them anyway, shall we?
The Met Costume Institute Gala hosted a ton of pieces from the collection. A ton. Emma Roberts wore this fantastic sequins-on-steroids bubble dress.
This China red silk organzamazing was one of my favorites. Jessica Biel (srsly!) totally shocked me in this. Beautiful. Claudia Schiffer wore the shit out of this three dimensional and intricate gown. I know Allegra Beck is pretty young. But, she's not that young. I wish she hadn't toned this dress down so much with the undershirt. Or whatever the heck you'd call that. Penelope Cruz wore the grecian to an Oscars after party. I actually thought this particular dress was the most boring design in the group. But, the most boring design in a poetic collection isn't the worst thing a dress can be.
You can see the lovely roped detail better below.
And the only one who just did. not. pull. it. off...? Eva Longoria. I'm thinking they had to take it up at least 4 1/2 feet. She's tiny. The dress is colossal. No Cannes do. (Ok, that was lame.)

No comments: